Marriage Discrimination Amendment Passes Indiana Senate by 40 to 10 Vote
Issue to face the State Legislature again in 2013
The Indiana Senate today passed House Joint Resolution 6 on a vote of 40 to 10. Authored by Representative Eric Turner (R-Cicero), HJR-6 would also bar similar legal structures such as civil unions, threaten domestic-partnership benefits, and endanger other legal protections for unmarried families.
During debate on HJR 6, a number of Senators, including Tim Lanane (D-Anderson), spoke against the resolution, clearly explaining why a constitutional amendment banning same-gender marriage is wrong for Indiana. Others who spoke against passage of HJR-6 included Senators Greg Taylor, Lonnie Randolph, and Vi Simpson. Lawmakers opposing the amendment questioned the necessity of the amendment, and also focused on the sentence which declares that a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized.
Proponents of HJR-6, led by Senator Dennis Kruse, stated that the constitutional amendment is designed to protect the way marriage has always been throughout the course of Indiana history, U.S. history, world history and the history of civilization.
Senators who voted no on HJR-6 included:
• Jim Arnold (D-LaPorte)
• Jean Breaux (D-Indianapolis)
• John Broden (D-South Bend)
• Tim Lanane (D-Anderson)
• Lonnie Randolph (D-East Chicago)
• Earline Rogers (D-Gary)
• Vi Simpson (D-Bloomington)
• Tim Skinner (D-Terre Haute)
• Karen Tallian (D-Portage)
• Greg Taylor (D-Indianapolis)
Please Take a Few Minutes TODAY and Contact Your State Senator
Either thank them for their NO vote on House Joint Resolution 6 or register your displeasure for their yes vote.
What happens next?
HJR-6 must pass through the House and Senate again in 2013 or 2014. If it passes, unaltered, it will be on the ballot in 2014. This means that Hoosiers will cast their vote either for or against HJR-6 as it is written today.
How You Can Help!
• The next best opportunity to voice your opposition to HJR-6 is during the 2012 elections. Be sure that you, your family, your friends, and your co-workers are registered Indiana voters.
• Volunteer to help defeat the Marriage Discrimination Amendment. Contact us by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or mail to the above address.
• Make a contribution to support IE Action’s advocacy and lobbying efforts. You can donate on-line at www.indianaequalityaction.org or by sending a check to
Indiana Equality Action at PO Box 20621, Indianapolis, IN 46220-0621.
• Join our Action Network and assist with communications to our elected officials about supporting equal protection under the law for ALL Hoosiers. To sign up, go to the IE Action website or send us an e-mail to receive regular updates.
Contacting Your State Legislator
For information on contacting the legislators who represent you, go to www.in.gov/legislative/legislators. If you do not know who represents you, find out by going to Project Vote Smart - A Voter's Self Defense System at www.vote-smart.org.
Important Phone Numbers
• House: (317) 232-9600
• House Toll-Free: (800) 382-9842
• Senate: (317) 232-9400
• Senate Toll-Free: (800) 382-9467
• TDD-local: (317) 232-0404
• TDD-long distance: (800) 548-9517